We've been feeding to our hungry neighbors for more than 20 years. As one of Seattle's busiest food banks, we help nourish about 11,000 people most months. We are the only food bank in the heart of Rainier Valley, home to the nation's most ethnically diverse ZIP code and some of the city's lowest-income areas. We offer a rich variety of healthy, fresh and locally-sourced foods. Community donations account for more than half of our funding. Find out more at rvfb.org.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Confessionals of a food bank employee during Hunger Challenge Week

I have done better at sticking to a $7 a day meal plan on non-hunger-challenge days than I have on hunger challenge days! I normally don't even buy lattes yet Monday they were calling my name in frothy foam harmonics! My first day, Monday, decidedly turned into "my last day before I start" by 11am. I reasoned that it would be better to coincide the challenge with work days at the food bank anyways, Tuesday - Saturday. Right. So here we are, Tuesday at the Rainier Valley Food Bank, and the thing about food banks... there's food! Don't get me wrong donors, we still need more! But it's just like any other hospitable work place, really. There are copious snacks and goodies made by so and so for such and such an occasion. Such as chocolate chip cookies brought by PCC for our volunteer packing parties, or curry soup from a faithful volunteer every Wednesday. We definitely prescribe a "take care of yourself so you can take care of others" vibe around here and naturally keeping each other well nourished falls into play. I have found myself budgeting a pick here and handful there of random offerings that, in reality, put me well over my $7 a day budget.


This whole process has been bringing me back to backpacking in Nepal, exactly one year ago. After traveling for 6 months I was completely accustomed to eating on the cheap. $7 a day was pretty much the standard. Sure, I could easily go to a tourist oriented cafe for breakfast and have $4 toast and eggs (which by the way, I thought a completely healthy first-bite-of-the-day before my trip). But I much preferred eating the local way to start my day, at $1, a traditional rice and veggie dish or maybe even a somasa if I had had a little too much raksi the night before. I found myself a little envious of other backpackers living on even $5 a day. Though it definitely can be done, I guess gummy bears were a "whole-meals-worth-expense" that I couldn't get off of! Point being, as I am attempting to essentially budget meals this week just as I was one year ago I am left wondering how eating wholesome has gotten to be so expensive in developed countries. I have a lot of thoughts & opinions on this that are perhaps best served over social lubricating libations.


Have you noticed my lack of actual commentary on the logistics of my $7 a day Hunger Challenge?! This is where I scroll down in envy to our awesome volunteers, photo journaling their uber delicious, wholesome and cheap meals! Though it certainly doesn’t read as a piece of cake, clearly others have stuck to the plan more than I have [lowering head in shame]. However, I am thankful in this moment that I have not let my shame guilt me into backing out of my blogging duties. This is all part of the process and experience, right? Sometimes not succeeding translates into learning more in the end … aaaaaand, sometimes following all the rules does too! I do have my google docs spreadsheet which mostly tracks most everything I eat this week. Needless to say, my daily totals are excellent food for thought. What is it about "can't have" that makes me want more?

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with your honesty -- it's brave to talk about what sometimes doesn't work! I'm also amazed that you have spreadsheets. You and Mike should hang out.

    The question about why wholesome food is so expensive is a very good one. I wonder if, in America, it has anything to do with our perception of "three meals a day/red meat at every meal" background. Like, a meal is not a meal unless it has a red meat and starch -- very nuclear family. It's interesting.

    There is a great exhibit at the Burke called "Hungry Planet" that follows the book by the same name, and debates some of these ideas loosely. Definitely work checking out!

    ReplyDelete