We've been feeding to our hungry neighbors for more than 20 years. As one of Seattle's busiest food banks, we help nourish about 11,000 people most months. We are the only food bank in the heart of Rainier Valley, home to the nation's most ethnically diverse ZIP code and some of the city's lowest-income areas. We offer a rich variety of healthy, fresh and locally-sourced foods. Community donations account for more than half of our funding. Find out more at rvfb.org.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More About Mike's "9-Ramen-a-Day" diet

Mike was teasing me that he didn't play a big enough role in yesterday's post, since he is doing the challenge as well. So here are a few things I've noticed about Mike's approach vs. my approach:
  • Mike likes to make spreadsheets of the food he has eaten and how much he has spent, and then send them to me. I'm guessing that's the finance training kicking in. I am definitely not interested in making spreadsheets more than is necessary, although I do like seeing his and the fact that he shares them.
  • Value and ease are the driving factors for Mike, I believe. The first day of the challenge, he ate five bananas until dinner time. I'm guessing that is because it was cheap and what was there. If I ate five bananas in a row, I would never eat bananas again.
  • I told him that we are supposed to get some protein and vegetables every day, which he responded to by eating my celery and homemade pea soup and mentioning that he would "pay me back." He did add the cost of the food to his daily budget (but so far not the weekly, which remains with me).
  • He drove to Walmart outside the city limits to purchase ramen and canned goods, the first time he's been to a Walmart in months (definitely since we were last in Wisconsin). I am still hoping to make it to the I.D. for "local" veggies and noodles, but haven't made it yet.
  • Mike brought home 2 cans of Chef Boyardee and was happy about it, while I had to gag just looking at the label. On the other hand, I burned the spaghetti squash last night and forgot to take out the seeds, so I can't tell which food was more disgusting.
  • Mike spent some time with friends last night, and showed incredible willpower by drinking water instead of Dark & Stormies, and drinking more water instead of eating snacks. I had to wrestle myself back from the brink of eating some birthday chocolate ganaches by throwing them up on the highest cabinet where I can't reach. It was a close one.
So we're both doing pretty well in our own ways, I think. Besides the great exercise in budget and restraint, the added benefit is that we've been talking about it all week with friends and colleagues, raising awareness for ourselves and others. The debates over the rules (a lot of differing opinions on that, very interesting), how to approach budgeting, organic v. non, etc., are all interesting questions that should be discussed more frequently. This week, we're really thinking about it.

Hope everyone is doing well this week!

2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME, Jaggergirl! I'm down to less than thirty bucks, sitting here debating about how to make it through the end of the week, and coming up with what I think is a fair strategy. Thanks for being a part of this whole incredibly important experience and discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spreadsheets? Dude, Mike is so hardcore.

    ReplyDelete