We've been feeding to our hungry neighbors for more than 20 years. As one of Seattle's busiest food banks, we help nourish about 11,000 people most months. We are the only food bank in the heart of Rainier Valley, home to the nation's most ethnically diverse ZIP code and some of the city's lowest-income areas. We offer a rich variety of healthy, fresh and locally-sourced foods. Community donations account for more than half of our funding. Find out more at rvfb.org.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Wherein Mike and I Find Ourselves Bagel-less

So yeah, we're not prepared for this. My boyfriend and I had a crazy amount of work last week and friends visiting until this morning, so there was no time for soups or crock pots or, you know, any kind of planning.

Day 1 with Mike. "You're on your own!" I told him this morning on the way out the door. I am such a good partner. Bless his heart for hopping on board with me on this. Even so, despite his solidarity, he's been trying to figure out ways around the challenge ("Can I get the guys to buy me lunch every day?" "Can I eat nine bags of ramen every day?" Uh, no and no.). I've been trying to figure out how to eat well, with protein and vegetables. Not going to happen easily. Especially when you haven't done any actual grocery shopping.

This is hard, just thinking about it. It makes me kind of ashamed at how little I think about it on a regular basis. Some people are going to shop the same as they have, but I already know I have to take a hard look at how we shop regularly, and adjust accordingly to do better in the future. My goal for this week is to make it down to the International District where I used to shop before I became lazy and devoted to Amazon Fresh.

Part of me is approaching this with a sense of adventure and interest in examining the way we live. The other part of me is growling for coffee and a bagel. That's the stomach part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment